Blog Updates

Attention Blog Readers

Content coming every day, come back again to see what's new

Ma'iingan

Saturday, October 3, 2020

Moon Phase Decor

 As stated in my previous post, I now have a little space to call my own.

But it's a little lacking in decoration, so I decided to make myself something to dress up the bare walls in this cute little shed. Mind you, I do have some furniture in here (a futon and a wire shelf I'm going to upgrade to a real shelf sometime this month), but the walls need something too.

I'd been wanting to create a moon phase wall-hanging for a while, but was never able to find anything to use. I don't like working with clay and cutting cardboard or foam board in a perfect circle is never easy. But luck smiled on me one day and I found some black circular chipboard at Michaels. Well, if I didn't scoop them up immediately knowing exactly what I had in mind for them.

For your own Moon Phase Decor, you will need:

-Circular item (I used black chalkboard circles from Michaels, but any item will do)

-Black paint (if your circle is not already black)

-Silver pen (Pilot Super Color in Silver is what I used), or silver paint

-Pencil

-String or cord (optional)

-Hot glue

Take your circle and paint it black if it is not already. Mine was already black, so I skipped this part.

I then used one circle to form the waxing and waning phases on the black circles, using a pencil (it's easier to correct a mistake with a pencil now than have to start all over again later).

Once I was happy with how the phases looked, I took my silver pen and outlined the pencil lines, and colored in the spaces. It took me a bit because my pen decided to crap out on me, so I had to go and get a couple more (I generally like to be prepared with extra...I thought I had an extra silver pen somewhere, but I guess I was wrong). If you don't have a silver pen, you can always do this with silver paint.

If you've painted, wait till the paint dries. Now you can decide how you want to hang it. I plan on making a wall hanging in which it sits on my wall in a vertical manner. If you want something similar, take your string or cord and measure it out roughly how long you want it to be. Finding the vertical center of your circles, add a line of hot glue down the back and affix it your string to it. Let it cool. Add a loop to the top of your "chain" and hang it where you will, and you're done :) :)

Alternative Uses

If you're not planning on hanging it with string, you can always attach them to a long piece of cardboard or other sturdy item and add it to your decor collection, either on a shelf, window sill or altar.

In all honesty, they're not as shiny as I hoped they would be, but I love them. In the picture above, I have yet to hang them, but once they are, I will update.

Good luck with your own adventure in making one, and I hope you love them as much as I love mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment